Bias in data
Bias in data can result from:
- survey questions that are constructed with a particular slant
- choosing a known group with a particular background to respond to surveys
- reporting data in misleading categorical groupings
- non-random selections when sampling
- systematic measurement errors.
This digital object allows students to explore the mathematical principles of bias through investigations with loaded dice.
It is important for students to realise that the data they collect may be biased in many different ways. The activity explores accuracy and precision.