There are six special quadrilaterals identified in the Australian Curriculum:
Give students opportunities to see the properties in a variety of situations by providing activities that:
- engage students in using appropriate symbols, language and terminology
- include accurate pen-and-paper construction and measurement
- use dynamic geometry diagrams which students can manipulate
- use physical models such as geoboards
- include solving problems involving angle measurements
- show the inclusive way in which quadrilaterals are named.
Properties of quadrilaterals
The language used to describe the properties of quadrilaterals is very sophisticated. Students require time and meaningful classroom activities in order to develop their understanding of this language and increase their fluency in using it.