Area in graphs
This is one type of a misleading graph.
- What is the title of the graph?
- What is being represented on the horizontal axis?
- What is being represented vertically?
- In a bar graph the area of a bar is proportional to the quantity represented in the bar, so how is this graph misleading?
- What percentage of the weekly spending is spent on transport?
- What percentage of the amount spent on transport would the area shown on the graph appear to represent?
- Why do you think the reporter produced this plot?
- Explain why we cannot find a median for this data set.
Suggested answers for misleading area graphs can be downloaded.