Hit the apple
Demonstrate the learning object L2804 Fraction fiddle: hit the apple to the class and discuss the dynamically linked components.
- One denominator is fixed but the other denominator and both numerators can be adjusted to create the desired fractions.
- As the fractions change, their fraction bars also change, as does their total on the vertical number line.
Demonstrate a task with these steps.
- Make the second denominator the same as the first.
- Make a fraction less than 1 and ask the students to suggest what the other fraction must be to complete one whole.
- Select <Repeat> and find another pair of fractions to complete the task. Selecting <Next> will specify a different denominator to work with.
Pairs of students work together on computers, taking turns to complete an addition task. Ask students:
- to print out the record sheet and discuss the patterns they see in the numbers
- what strategies they would use to add fractions like these without the learning object to assist.
Students ready for a greater challenge can be encouraged to make a different denominator for the second fraction.